Varicose veins are bulging veins that you can see just under the surface of the skin. They can make your legs look ugly. If you suffer from this condition, follow these simple exercises to treat them.
Generally observed in legs, varicose veins can occur in oesophagus, womb, vagina, rectum etc.
Veins carry blood from legs to heart. Blood is moved through one-way valves. When these fail to work, blood gets pooled in the veins which, causes them to bulge. This leads to varicose veins.
One-way valves fail to work when there is lack of physical activity. A person who sits or stands for long hours is most likely to experience this condition.
There are certain exercises that can be followed to treat varicose veins.
- Walking: It is a low impact activity which is the best exercise to treat varicose veins. Walking will stretch calf muscles; it will provide strength to them, which will in turn improve the blood flow.
- Cycling: This is another low impact exercise that is great for the calf muscles; it will make the calf pump blood without keeping stress on the bones and joints.
- Leg Lifts: Lie on your back on floor or mat. Raise a leg, hold it for few seconds in the air then lower it back on the floor. Repeat the same on the opposite leg.
- Calf Raises: Stand with your legs placed slightly apart. Then raise your tiptoe and come back down. Repeat this exercise for two minutes.
- Pedaling Legs: Lie on your back and raise your legs in air, now pedal your legs for two minutes.
- Side Lunges: Stand with your legs placed slightly apart. Then extend your right leg towards your right side and bend such that the right leg makes a 90-degree angle. Straighten back the right leg. Repeat the same on the left leg.
Consult your doctor to know if you can perform the above exercises. If you are suffering from this condition, follow the above exercises, they could help you in treating varicose veins. For more information, Consult Vascular Surgeon for Varicose Veins Treatment in Hyderabad, Dr. Abhilash Sandhyala now.