Varicose veins are dark blue or purple in colour. They should be prevented since they can cause a blood clot to travel to the lungs, which can be life threatening. Read on to know the foods which prevent varicose veins…
Varicose veins are bulging veins that run beneath the surface of the skin. Usually found in legs they can occur in oesophagus, womb, vagina, rectum etc.
Certain factors like age, pregnancy, overweight, family history, liver disease etc increase the risk of developing varicose veins.
Some foods that contain anthocyanins, Vitamin C, E, fiber etc. are great for healthy veins. Here are the foods that prevent varicose veins:
- Blueberries: They are rich in insoluble fiber, soluble fiber and vitamin E. Moreover they contain anthocyanins which are great for the collagen matrix since they neutralize the enzymes that cause damage to the connective tissue. They restore the damaged proteins in vessel walls and support vascular health.
- Avocados: They are a good source of vitamin C and E which are the essential vitamins for vascular health. They contain glutathione which protects veins from oxidant damage. Glutathione also sees to that vitamin C and E function correctly.
- Ginger: This aromatic and pungent flavoured food is great for vascular health. Varicose veins occur when the body fails to break fibrin, a protein that leads to lumpy and hard veins. Ginger dissolves this fibrin and improves circulation.
- Beetroots: They contain betacyanin which lowers homocysteine levels, a naturally occurring amino acid that can cause harm to the blood vessels. One can also include the green leafy tops of beetroots in diet since they are highly nutritious.
- Asparagus: This provides strength to the veins and capillaries. The nutrients present in asparagus prevent the veins and capillaries from rupturing.
- Flax seeds: They contain omega 3 fatty acids and fiber which cut down the stress on the veins.
- Apples: They are rich in rutin, which reduces the swelling and pain due to varicose veins.
- Pineapple: It contains bromelain which has excellent anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Bromelain also reduces the formation of fibrous deposits which cause bulging of veins in the long run.
Cayenne pepper, rosemary, dandelion tea, also helps in preventing varicose veins. For more information, Consult Vascular Interventions Dr. Abhilash Sandhyala now forVaricose Veins Treatment Hyderabad.