Do you experience burning or itching sensation in your legs? You might be suffering from varicose veins. They can be quite painful. Moreover they can lead to serious complications if they are left untreated. So you should prevent yourselves from varicose veins. So be active! Read on for more insights…
Varicose veins can be painful and might result in complications in the long run if left untreated. Varicose veins can lead to many serious diseases like Telangiectasias, Varicoceles, Superficial Thrombophlebitis, Deep Vein Thrombosis etc. These diseases may give you lots of pain and may even result in infertility in men due to low sperm production. Varicose veins may also cause blood clots, which might even travel up to your lungs and prove harmful for your health. So watch out for varicose veins! Try to prevent it.
Firstly, what are varicose veins?
Varicose veins are swollen, twisted veins that you can see just under the surface of your skin. They become swollen because they become over-filled with blood. They generally occur in the legs anywhere from groin to thigh; however they can occur on any part of your body.
Varicose veins can be quite painful. They usually appear in bluish-purple or red coloration.
What causes varicose veins?
Veins have one-way valves to keep blood flowing to your heart. When the valves are weak or damaged, blood can back up and pool in your veins. This causes the veins to swell which leads to varicose veins.
You might also inherit varicose veins if you have family history. You can be prone to varicose veins because of age, lack of movement, pregnancy, sex, obesity etc.
PREVENTION OF VARICOSE VEINS
You can’t prevent varicose veins from forming completely. However, improving your circulation and muscle tone can reduce your risk of developing varicose veins.
You can prevent varicose veins by following the below points:
- You should exercise regularly to improve your leg strength, circulation and vein You should engage yourselves in exercises that work on your legs such as walking, jogging and running. Always be active!
- More weight means more pressure on your legs. Hence don’t be obese!
- While sitting don’t cross your legs for long time.
- Elevate your legs when you sit.
- Don’t be in one position for more time. That is you should avoid sitting or standing for a long time. If you must sit, then get up and take a short walk for every 30 minutes, similarly if you have to stand for long time then shift your weight from one leg to another leg for every few minutes.
- You should not wear high heels for long hours. You should opt for lower-heeled shoes that can help tone your calf muscles to help blood move through your veins.
- Always go for a low-fat and high-fiber diet. Consuming fiber reduces the chances of constipation which in-turn reduces your chances of getting varicose veins. Eating less salt helps with swelling that comes due to varicose veins.
- You should not wear tight clothing around your groin, waist or legs.
- Wear a sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful sun rays.
Varicose veins can be very painful. Hence follow all the measures mentioned above and stay healthy. Since prevention is better than cure, so book an appointment for Varicose Veins Treatment in Hyderabad now with Top Vascular Specialist Dr. Abhilash Sandhyala!