EVLT is a minimally invasive procedure to treat varicose veins. EVLT means Endovenous Laser Treatment. EVLT is the best way to get rid of varicose veins. According to a study made by Elmore and Lackey on 516 treated over 69 months reported a success rate of 98.1%.
This procedure is performed under Ultrasonography guidance. A catheter containing optical fibre is inserted in the varicose veins. It delivers sufficient thermal energy in the form of laser to the wall of the defective vein to produce fibrosis leading to occlusion of the vein. Diluted local anaesthesia is given. Adequate damage to the incompetent vein is necessary to completely occlude the vein. Most commonly diode lasers are used for EVLT. It is mostly a day care procedure. This procedure takes almost 1-2 hrs to complete. The leg is bandaged after completion of the procedure. Patient can go home walking 4-5 hrs later.
Post-procedural precautions to be taken after the procedure are as follows:
- The leg will be wrapped in compression bands and absorbent pads. Keep them in place for the next 2 to 3 days. Do not wet them. You can take sponge bath in this time period.
- Leg elevation: doctor will advise you to keep your legs in elevated position while sitting or lying in these two days. Do not sit for longer hours.
- Apply ice: Ice packs can be applied to help with the swelling and the discomfort.
- Stockings: the doctor will advise you to wear compression stockings while standing upright during daily normal activities. Theses stockings should be worn for a period of 3 weeks. They should be taken off while having bath and before going to sleep.
- Avoid hot baths: After the treatment hot tub baths should be avoided for two weeks at least.
- Don’t stand: in the next 3 weeks after the procedure, avoid standing for a longer duration of time. Either sit down or walk around.
- Walking: walking after the procedure everyday is must. In the first 7 days after the procedure, you should walk for a minimum of half an hour for two times in a day. After that you should walk for half hour every day.
- Avoid heavy exercises: Heavy activities like jumping, skipping, lifting heavy weights are strictly prohibited. It might lead to reopening of the veins and decrease the chances of success of the procedure.
- Pain killers: pain killers like NSAIDs will be prescribed by the treating surgeon.
- Follow up: you might be called for follow up on the next day for the change of the dressing.
- Vigilance: Keep an eye on the redness, warmth and tenderness. If you develop an acute fever or severe worsening of the swelling or pain, contact the treating surgeon immediately.
Get EVLT procedure done by Dr. Abhilash sandhyala, one of the leading Vascular Surgeon in Hyderabad!!